A Caesar salad is a green salad, made out of lettuce, croutons, dressed in olive oil, lemon juice (or lime juice), anchovies, garlic, eggs, Dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
This was created by Caesar Cardini. He was an Italian immigrant who operated restaurants in the United States and Mexico. Cardini used to live in San Diego, however, he also used to work in Tijuana. Cardini made the salad with whatever was available in the kitchen, adding a beautiful flare of the table-side tossing by the chef himself.
Since we now know the history of this dish let us look into how to prepare classic Caesar salad with crisp homemade croutons, with a light dressing.
Required Ingredients For Caesar Salad
Caesar salad is ready very simple to make, and the ingredients are also simple and classic. All that is necessary to make this recipe are;
- Romaine lettuce, 1 or 2 small heads
- Crisp croutons – can be homemade, homemade croutons can be made several days ahead.
- Parmesan cheese – shaved or shredded.
- Dressing- can be homemade as well. Today we will look into homemade dressing only.
Ingredients In Details
For Caesar Salad Dressing
- Two teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Two small garlic cloves minced
- Two teaspoon lemon juice
- One teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or as per taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ French Baguette cut in half and thinly sliced
- Three tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Two tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- One teaspoon minced garlic, two cloves
For Caesar Salad
- One large romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese shaved or shredded
How To Make Caesar Salad Dressing
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, garlic.
- Slowly pour in the virgin olive oil while still whisking constantly.
- Put ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 black pepper powder or as per taste into the mixture and stir it properly.
How To Make Croutons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then cut the baguette into thin slices and place the bread onto a baking sheet.
- Then in a small bowl mix three-tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil with minced garlic. Pour this mixture over the thinly sliced bread until they are covered properly with this garlic-infused oil. Also, put two tablespoon parmesan cheese on the bread slices.
- Then spread the bread evenly on the baking sheet and bake till they are golden yellow, or until it achieves the desired crispiness.
How To Make Caesar Salad
- Rinse and dry the romaine lettuce, then chop or tear the leaves into bite-size.
- Place the lettuce in a deep large serving bowl and then sprinkle a generous amount of shredded or shaved parmesan cheese.
- Then put the cooled crouton in the bowl.
- Then drizzle the Caesar dressing gently and toss the mixture gently until the lettuce is evenly coated with the croutons and mixture.
I hope this article will help you make a mesmerizing Caesar salad the taste of which lingers on your tongue forever.